- About MMS
We teach Basic skills within the context of an integrated curriculum in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and health. We employ the techniques of exploration, critical thinking and problem solving with the understanding that children learn best by doing. We design activities to develop rational, logical thinking as well as creative, imaginative expression. Homework is included at all levels to develop responsibility and to extend classroom learning into the home.
Language Arts Curriculum
Students in our elementary grades learn language arts in a balanced and integrated curriculum. The language arts processes of listening, speaking, reading and writing help students to develop the critical thinking skills necessary for life-long learning and develop students' positive attitudes about themselves and others.
We encourage this by:
- Frequent experiences of literature read aloud
- Storytelling enactment
- Rhymes and songs
- Cooperative group work
- Formal and informal presentations
The goal of our reading program is to develop students who can:
- Read independently at levels appropriate for their grade
- Read confidently for enjoyment and increasing their knowledge
- Interpret, evaluate and apply what they read
Our elementary students gain practical experience of the writing process, which includes pre-writing, writing, discussion, editing and post-writing activities.
The goal of our mathematics program is to develop students' problem solving skills by building on familiar experiences to extend the students' abilities and appreciation of mathematics.
The math program in the elementary grades is structured so that the students will learn to:
- Explore, investigate and discover the joys of mathematics
- Participate in a classroom atmosphere that fosters the development of logical thinking and problem solving
- See the relationships between the variety of mathematical skills and concepts
- Understand the important computation skills needed at all levels in math
- Use computers and calculators as mathematical tools.